Wired's "How-To-Wiki" has a post up about how to make money around free content. They've listed more than 20 tactics and more are being added. This list was compiled in response to a blog post by VC Fred Wilson where he was speculating about the monetization of "free". Here's a few tactics from the Wired's Wiki:
- CPM ads ("cost per thousand views"; banner ads online and regular ads in print, TV and radio)
- CPC ads ("cost per click"; think Google ads)
- CPT ads ("cost per transaction"; you pay only if the customer brought to you from a media sites becomes a paying customer. Here's an example.)
- Lead generation (you pay for qualified names of potential customers)
- Autoresponder Memberships (people pay for email; watch this free video)
- Subscription revenues
- Affiliate revenues (e.g., Amazon Associates, Products + Clickbank)
- Rental of subscriber lists
The complete list can be found here.
Download vSente's Free Campaign Planner to learn more about how we help marketing managers battle larger competition.